Saturday, May 1, 2010

Anniversary Trip - Day 6

We woke up early and checked out of our great room. We took the train from New York City to Philadelphia. We didn't have anything specific planned for the day so we just started walking around downtown. There are many parks, statues, and fountains in Philadelphia. This is LOVE Park, named for the LOVE sculpture that is there.
Across the street from LOVE Park is a park called "Your Move." They have Sorry pieces, Monopoly , checkers, and other board game pieces too.
We decided the best way to see the city in just one day would be to take a double-decker bus tour. It was a lot of fun and gives a great highlight reel of Philadelphia. We did have to watch out for trees though.
There is a large arts district and many exhibits and sculptures.
This is the Eastern State Penitentiary. Al Capone was placed here. We just saw the outside though.
Of course, we saw Rocky.
The mascot of the Phillies is the Philly Phanatic. There are statues of him decorated different ways throughout the city. The Phanatic is the tall one in the picture.
The Liberty Bell. I expected it to be bigger. There was no mention of Davy Crockett patching up the crack which surprised us Tennesseans.
Some of the sculptures are more interesting than others.
That evening we balanced out our "Baseball and Broadway" trip by seeing The Lion King. It was a good production but I liked it more the first time I saw it. I believe the fatigue from the trip and sitting all day in the sun on the top of a bus had set in though. It was still very enjoyable and is one both Lisa and I would recommend seeing. Day 7 was spent flying to Nashville and driving to Knoxville. It was an excellent vacation and we can't wait to go back to both Philadelphia and New York City!
Here is the obligatory cheesy picture representing my LOVE of Lisa on our 10 year anniversary!
Thanks for 10 great years Lisa! I love you!

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Ah you are so sweet Matthew! :) Happy Anniversary you two!!

See See Rider said...

I think I've snagged a good one and I feel pretty lucky. I'll keep him! =)

Caylinn said...

Looks like a fun trip. Love you both!!