Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

On Wednesday I was at work and received a call from our apartment complex. It was well after their normal office hours, so I answered. The lady on the other end said, "I have some bad news. There was a fire in your building and I know you have the two dogs." She paused after saying that and I was very relieved when she followed it by saying everyone was ok. A fire started in the laundry room down the hall from our apartment. No one was hurt and nothing in our apartment was damaged by the fire. Apparently there was a lot of smoke throughout though. A maintenance worker had opened all of the windows in our apartment so the dogs would be ok.

We couldn't stay at our apartment because of the smoke and because of the chemicals they were using to get rid of the smoke smell. There was also damage done to the fire alarm system by the fire. The fire marshall required that be fixed before residents could stay again. We were not given any idea on how long that would take since they were still investigating the cause of the fire. So we hurried home, packed a few things, grabbed Bailey and Duncan, and headed to the fabulous Red Roof Inn!

After what I can imagine was a hard day for the dogs with the fire, alarms, smoke, strange people in the house, etc., they were loving the motel. Both of them smiled the entire night. They also crawled all over the bed. It was a long night.

We had to work on Thursday and couldn't leave the dogs in the hotel. They assured us the apartment was safe, it just couldn't be lived in until the fire system was fixed. So we took the dogs back home while we worked, not knowing if we would be spending Christmas Eve in the motel or at home. Luckily all was fixed and we were allowed to go back into the home late Christmas Eve.

It was a crazy night, but it could have been much worse. It's nice to know we still have our home and our dogs and each other. That's more than a lot of others can say right now.




Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Caylinn said...

Merry Christmas!! I am so glad everything is OK. I bet the dogs loved the motel.

Miss you alot!! Love You

SheL said...

Wow that is crazy. I am glad the dogs are okay and that you didn't lose any of your stuff. Merry Christmas! We miss you guys.